In 2015, the Port Colborne Public Library celebrates the 150th birthday of Miss Arabella Williams (1865-1950) … Arabella deeded the block of land on King, Elgin, Catharine and Princess streets to the Town of Port Colborne in 1948. The library and the Port Colborne Marine & Historical Museum now make their home on the land that Arabella’s family purchased from William Hamilton Merritt for $825 in the 1860s. The library was built where Arabella’s orchard once stood.
To acknowledge Arabella’s generosity, the library hosted a birthday party on March 27th and invited the public to drop by and enjoy a piece of cake and a cup of tea. Mayor John Maloney attended and presented a plaque in memory of the generous contributions Arabella made to the City of Port Colborne.